If you think of a mouthful of silver metal when you think of braces, we have news for you. Modern orthodontics offers much more discreet, comfortable, and efficient methods for straightening a crooked smile than what was available decades ago. At Alexandria Dental Health & Smile Studio, we are all about giving you confidence and a beautiful smile—even while you are having your teeth straightened. For the large majority of our patients, we opt for the desirable Invisalign® system, but we also offer effective solutions for more difficult cases.
Invisalign® Is the Clear Choice for Most Orthodontic Problems
Invisalign® is a modern and discreet orthodontic treatment option designed to straighten teeth and correct various dental alignment issues. Unlike traditional metal braces, Invisalign® employs a series of clear, removable aligners that gradually shift teeth into their desired positions.
In our Smile Studio, you will go through the following treatment process:
- Consultation and treatment plan. The process begins with a consultation with Dr. Mazhari. During this consultation, we will assess your teeth, take digital impressions, and discuss your treatment goals.
- Customized treatment plan. Using advanced 3D imaging technology, we will create a digital representation of your teeth's current alignment and design a personalized treatment plan. Our Invisalign® software generates a series of aligners that will gradually move your teeth into the desired positions.
- Fabrication of aligners. Based on the treatment plan, a series of custom-made, clear aligners are fabricated using smooth, BPA-free plastic. Each aligner is designed to fit snugly over your teeth and exert gentle pressure to shift them.
- Wearing the aligners. You'll wear each set of aligners for about a week or two, depending on our goals. The aligners should be worn for about 20-22 hours a day, only removed for eating, drinking, brushing, and flossing.
- Gradual tooth movement. Each aligner is slightly different from the previous one and is designed to move specific teeth incrementally. Over time, the consistent change in aligners gradually shifts your teeth into their intended positions.
- Monitoring and progress checkups. Throughout the treatment process, you'll have regular checkup appointments in our office. These appointments allow us to monitor your progress, ensure that your teeth are moving as planned, and provide you with the next set of aligners.
- Treatment completion. Once you've gone through the entire series of aligners, your teeth should have reached their desired positions. We may recommend a retainer to help maintain the results achieved during treatment.
The key benefits of Invisalign® braces include their discreet appearance, comfort, and convenience. They can be removed for eating, brushing, and special occasions, allowing for easier oral hygiene compared to traditional braces. Invisalign® is particularly suitable for adults who prefer a more subtle approach to orthodontic treatment.
We also offer Invisalign Teen® to treat overbites, underbites, and crossbites in teenage patients, saving them from the discomfort and embarrassment of traditional braces.
Additional Orthodontic Care Solutions We Offer in Alexandria
Invisalign® is a great solution for many of our patients, but it's not right for everyone. For those patients, we offer other orthodontic treatments, including the following:
- Traditional braces. There are several alignment issues that cannot be fixed with Invisalign®, including a severe bite issue, individual teeth that are rotated more than 20 degrees, and very large gaps between teeth. People with certain types of previous dental work or who need to have an intrusion or extrusion to straighten their teeth may not be good candidates either. For these patients, we offer traditional braces.
- Six-Month Smiles®. Patients who have mild alignment issues and want a perfect smile quickly might be good candidates for this clear-bracket treatment. If you are getting married or scheduling your senior pictures in the next year, and you are not completely satisfied with your smile, talk to us about this exciting option.
- Functional orthodontics. Through multi-dimensional palate expansion, we can address the underlying structural cause of crooked or misaligned teeth. Functional orthodontics concentrates on correcting the under-developed upper or lower jaw and bringing the bite back into a natural, comfortable alignment. This can also be an effective treatment for TMJ disorders and sleep apnea.
Ready for a New and Improved Smile? Schedule Your Orthodontic Consultation
Schedule a consultation with Dr. Mazhari to find out if you are a candidate for Invisalign® or if one of our other orthodontic treatments is more appropriate. We serve patients from many Northern Virginia communities, including Alexandria, Annandale, Crystal City, and Fairfax. To schedule your appointment with us, contact our Alexandria dentist office at (703) 212-9622 or request an appointment online.