Whether you have decided to straighten your teeth for a special event or because you have a painful bite issue that needs correcting, as an adult, the thought of traditional braces is a big turn-off. Invisalign® clear aligners might be a great option for you, but you will have to be diligent about wearing them and find ways to fit them into your busy life. This is especially true if you work in a field where you need to project a professional image since you will have to wear your aligners almost 24 hours a day. We offer tips for busy adults who choose Invisalign® to get the perfect smile they have always dreamed of.
How to Incorporate Invisalign® Into Your Professional Life
For busy professionals, there are definite advantages to Invisalign® over traditional braces. They are more discrete and can be removed when absolutely necessary—such as for a headshot, while giving an important presentation, or during a business lunch or dinner. However, for best results, you will have to wear them for at least 20 hours each day, so you should have them in for most of your workday. You will also have frequent appointments in our Alexandria office, so you will have to allow time for that in your busy schedule.
We have had many professional adults who were very pleased with their experiences with Invisalign®. In working with them, we have gathered the following helpful suggestions for you to integrate Invisalign® treatment into your daily routine seamlessly:
- Plan ahead for appointments. You will have to come in for new aligners every week or two. We understand your time is precious, so we prioritize efficiency during these appointments. We encourage you to plan your Invisalign® appointments in advance. Coordinate them during breaks, lunch hours, or times when your work schedule is relatively light.
- Take time to adjust. Some people find that their speech is affected when they first start wearing aligners. However, most of our patients report that they overcome the change in time.
- Be strategic about removal. You should only have your aligners out for two to four hours a day, including mealtimes. When you look at your daily agenda, decide in advance when you will remove them to ensure you don't exceed four hours.
- Always have a case with you. Having multiple cases is a good idea so you can stash them in your desk, work bag, purse, kitchen, and pocket.
- Set a reminder to put your aligners back in. It's easy to leave lunch with colleagues and go back to work without putting your aligners back in. Set a reminder on your phone every time you take them out to remind you to put them back in.
- Stay hydrated. Hydration is key to aligner comfort. Sip water throughout the day to prevent dry mouth and aligner discomfort. You should only drink water while wearing your aligners.
- Maintain oral hygiene. Prioritize your dental hygiene routine. Carry a travel-sized toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss for after meals, ensuring your aligners and teeth stay clean.
- Incorporate cleaning rituals. Set aside time for cleaning your aligners, even at the end of a hectic workday. Gently brush them with a soft toothbrush or use Invisalign® cleaning crystals to prevent staining and odor. When eating at home, you can soak your aligners to minimize the time they are out of your mouth.
- Stay patient and positive. Invisalign® treatment is a journey, and there might be moments of adjustment. Most patients have to wear their aligners for about a year, so stay patient and focused on the end result: a confident, beautiful smile.
- Ask us for help. If you have questions or concerns about your treatment, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We are your partners in achieving a successful outcome, and we might be able to offer effective solutions if you are struggling with wearing your aligners at work.
Remember, your smile is an investment in your self-confidence and overall well-being. With Invisalign®, the path to a straighter smile doesn't have to disrupt your professional life. By implementing these tips, you'll navigate your treatment journey smoothly and emerge with the smile you've always wanted—ready to take on the world, one confident smile at a time.